Posted by Linda
This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering, and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars. May you savor whatever you eat from this summer’s abundance, including fair trade chocolate, and check out the following practice to see if it alleviates pain and/or increases your joy.
Rosemary’s Exercise for Head-Neck-Shoulder Alignment and Throat Relaxing
I learned this from Rosemary very many moons ago; she learned it from an opera singer. It has 5 steps to it, and is best done standing, but sitting is okay too.
1. Drop your head forward and down on your neck, then your neck forward and down toward your chest, the result being a curling of your head and neck.
2. Roll your shoulders forward and rotate your arms (that are hanging by your side) inward. –By now maybe you’re wondering, What the ???
3. Keeping your shoulders and arms as they are, bend your head back so you can see the ceiling. –and now you’re really wondering…
4. Keeping your head flopped back, and your arms rotated in, bring your shoulders up toward your ears.
5. This step is a two-fer: Roll your shoulders back and let them drop down to neutral (your arms will naturally de-rotate back to neutral), and at the same time, allow your head to drop forward toward neutral.
You’ll find that “neutral” for both head and shoulders is a bit different than you’re used to. Feel the changes. Take an easy breath or two and enjoy. Can be helpful to repeat 2 more times. Practice 1-4 x daily to create greater ease and balance through there.