Posted by Colleen
What is second nature to humans? Sitting! It’s what we do at work, when we eat, unwind and watch tv, on the computer and even when we socialize.
Did you know that Charles Dickens, Ernest Hemingway and Winston Churchill used stand-up desks?
Experts have set guidelines recommending minimum amounts of physical activity but not specific guidelines for sitting. Experts do seem to agree to counteract the negative health effects of prolonged sitting is to get up and move. Getting up off your chair at work or home and move frequently throughout the day is key.
Here are some tips:
At work, walk and talk
Try a stand-up desk
Get rid of office chair with wheels and get up to retrieve things
Get a phone call get up, pace and talk
Every hour, get up and walk
Talk and walk on your break or lunch break
Watching tv, go and do things during commercials – get up and move.
Posted by Linda
Remember the Five Simple Rules to be Happy
1. Free your heart from hatred
2. Free your mind from worries
3. Live simply
4. Give more
5 Expect less
Posted by Colleen
Have you ever had muscle spasms or twitches? Maybe check out what you’re not getting enough of in your diet which may be a mineral call magnesium. A majority of Americans don’t get enough of this mineral and may be at risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes and migraine headaches.
Foods that you can incorporate into your diet are fish, leafy greens, avocados, nuts, seeds, legumes, spinach, oats and dark chocolate. You can also take a magnesium supplement such as magnesium glycinate or other forms of magnesium ending in “ate” on a daily basis. Check with your physician before starting any supplement especially if you are taking prescription medication.
If you are experiencing numbness or tingling in your limbs that could be a sign of a vitamin B12 deficiency. Older adults, vegans, patients that have weight loss surgery and antacid users are most at risk for lack of this vitamin.
Foods that contain vitamin B12 are fish, lean beef, dairy, eggs, tempeh and nutritional yeast.
Your doctor can do a blood test to check for vitamin B12 and magnesium deficiencies. Check with your physician before starting a supplement. Eating a variety of whole foods in your daily lifestyle can usually give you enough minerals and vitamins your body needs.
As we all know, we do have to do something to have less stress in our daily lives, but what can we do?
Here are some of the strategies to keep you balanced, happier and healthier:
- After waking up in the morning for the first 5-10 min. thank God for the beautiful day, your family members, friends and add at least 5 more things you are thankful for.
- Stretch in bed or during your shower and make some knee bending exercises when you wash your teeth to optimize your time. Music in the morning makes you feel good and perhaps you can dance for 5 min.
- Do something nice for yourself each day, reading your favorite book or magazine, drinking your favorite tea or coffee, go for a few minutes in nature in your breaks
- Take a day off for a wellness-day with a massage, facial, sauna, swimming etc. or/and at home, take regular warm aromatherapy-bath (gift set: each time a different herb- and flower bath)
- Use both of your brain-sites, if the left side is tired, use the right side, if the right side needs a break do something for the left side. Gardening, Art & Crafts or a sport is a good way to relax. Share a flower bouquet from your garden with a friend or bake a cake for your neighbor, or……sharing things you like makes you and the receiving person happy!
- If you get a compliment, take it seriously and say, thank you!
- laugh often (look for funny movies, games to do with children, and grand children, funny books and videos, this keeps you happy and healthy!
- Learn to say NO, women have a harder time with this, because we think we have to take care of everybody and everything
- Set your priorities with taking time for God, family, profession, exercising, hobbies, avoid news and other negative TV and influences, messages and pictures and replace with positive ones. Learn every day something new
- Simplify life with doing only 3 things a day!
- Try this few steps for a month and transform your life to a happier one! Write me your story and how you felt before and how you feel now after using this 10 steps each day. I look forward to your message or to hear from you! Here is my e-mail: email@example.com; Have a wonderful new day with a new beginning!